Two Ross-on-Wye U11 defeats which mirror one another

By Ross Gazette sports reporter in Football

Both Ross Under 11 teams had matches on Saturday, March 11th and, although they battled well, they suffered defeats that seemed to mirror each other.

In the first match, the Juniors were missing a few players and entertained the league’s top team, FC Phoenix. The home side matched their opponents early on and there was a nice team move which involved Bill, Harvey and Jake, which set Niall up to score, but his shot was saved.

Another chance fell to Niall when Harvey played an excellent ball over the Phoenix defence but the visitors’ keeper made a great block and also denied Luca from following up.

Although Phoenix looked dangerous on a number of occasions, the home defence of David, Theo and Josh battled really well and managed to keep Phoenix at bay.

About five minutues to go before half time, Phoenix went ahead when a shot from distance went in off the post, and mere minutes later, they doubled their lead with a brilliantly struck free kick that found the far top corner.

Although Phoenix had been the better side in the first half, these two goals before half time were hard on the Ross boys.

It was important that Ross didn’t concede an early goal in the second half, but unfortunately that is exactly what happened. Phoenix then dominated most of the second half and, if it hadn’t been for Roo in the Ross goal, who made at least three brilliant saves, the home side could have been on the end of a bit of a thrashing.

Ethan made his league debut for the Juniors and settled into defence really well. Late on, Bill worked an opening for himself with a good run and was unlucky to fire a shot just the wrong side of the post.

The Harley Finishings man of the match was awarded to Roo Tighe for some brilliant goalkeeping.

During the second game, the U11 Royals entertained Lads Club Galaxy and acquitted themselves very well against league opponents.

Rory went close to putting the home side ahead early on, but Roo was denied by the crossbar from a free kick.

Galaxy went ahead midway through the half, against the run of play, with a scuffed shot in the middle of a crowded penalty area. They soon added a second point with a shot from distance.

Lads Club threatened to add further goals late on in the half but Owen made a couple of good saves to keep the score two - nil at half time.

The second half mirrored the earlier match, with the visitors creating a number of good chances, but Owen made a number of brilliant saves and a brave block to deny them.

Galaxy did grab a couple of goals in the second half and, although the Royals saw plenty of the ball in the midfield, they didn’t really create any clear cut chances.

The Royals’ man of the match was Owen Way for some brilliant saves.

Both sides play at home again this Saturday. The Juniors welcome Pegasus Juniors and the Royals will play Monmouth Town.

Related Articles

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C