More than 12,000 people joined in the festivities of the Hereford River Carnival last year and, as so many people from across the community got involved and had such a great time, Visit Herefordshire awarded the event its coveted Best Community Festival Award for 2016.
And this year the Carnival will receive a marvellous musical boost as the award-winning team behind the boutique family festival, Nozstock, The Hidden Valley will join in the celebrations bringing its own brand of family-orientated festivity to Castle Green.
The event schedule is as follows:
Friday, April 28th 2017: Mappa Mundi - Out of the Museum and Into the Streets - 8pm to 11pm
New for 2017, a theatrical spectacular with a performance through the streets of Hereford from the Cathedral and onto Bishop’s Meadow. See creatures from the City’s iconic Mappa Mundi come to life in the streets and in a torch-lit procession down the River Wye.
Saturday, April 29th - Highlights for 2017 include:
• 10am Fun dog show on Castle Green
• 11am Carnival of Sport begins on King George V Playing Fields
• 11.15am CHAR sprint race on the Wye
• 12.30 Nozstock Stage on Castle Green
• 1.00pm Street Carnival (Castle Green, St Ethelbert Street, St. Owens Street, High Town, Broad Street, King Street, over Old Wye Bridge to Bishops Meadow – Please see carnival map for more details.
• 2.15pm River Carnival procession.
• 3.30pm City of Hereford Rotary Club charity duck race
More information about different aspects of the day can be found on the website: http://www.rivercarnival.org.uk/