Ross-on-Wye Fire Crew, and another team from the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended woodburner chimney fire at Welsh Newton Common this morning (Friday, December 2nd) at 10.32am. The fire was extinguished.
After the fire, Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) have re-issued its chimney safety advice after several local fire crews have attended a number of chimney/wood burner fires over the two counties in the last few weeks.
The Service issues regular reminders as part of its Winter Safety Campaign, knowing the devastating impact a chimney fire can have on a home and its occupants.
Station Commander Stuart Crebbin from HWFRS’s Community Risk department said: “The weather has been colder and more and more people are lighting fires to keep warm, we want people to be aware just how damaging they can be. A fire in a chimney can all too easily spread into the roof space and to other parts of a property, and can even destroy a home completely.”
He continued: “The good news, however, is that most chimney fires can be avoided simply by ensuring chimneys are swept regularly and that only the correct fuels are used.”
He also wanted to remind people to store their logs away from the wood burner, wood is highly combustible and could very easily catch alight.
Other top tips Station Commander Crebbin recommended are to:
• Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
• Make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed
• Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
He urged people to make an appointment now with a registered chimney sweep if their chimney is due a clean. Further chimney safety advice and full details of chimney sweeps operating locally are listed on the Service’s website at www.hwfire.org.uk under the Your Safety heading.