A 31-YEAR-OLD man has been jailed for 48 weeks after a series of assaults on his partner in Newent.

Gloucester Crown Court heard that last September, at around 12.30am, police were called when Shane Pickersgill was iassaulting the woman.

Prosecutor Simon Goodman said: “(The victim), who had become the target of Shane Pickersgill’s punches, phoned her sister in desperation to come to Newent to pick her up.

“While she was on the phone. Pickersgill continued to assault her. The sister heard her say ‘He’s just punched me in the face again.’

“(The victim) was then heard screaming ‘Get off me, get off me’ as Pickersgill began biting her.”

The sister was then told by Pickersgill on the phone ‘You’re next, and you’re going to get what’s coming to you’.

The sister called the police and officers were on the scene within minutes, said the prosecutor. 

“When Pickersgill was being arrested he assaulted one of the police officers by kicking out backwards at them,” Mr Goodman said. “He denied assaulting (the woman) during interview, claiming she sustained the injuries getting out of a car. “

Pickersgill of Pixley Walk, Hereford pleaded guilty just before a trial was about to start, to common assault and assaulting an emergency worker on September 16.

The offence meant he was in breach of a suspended sentence order and four community orders.

The court was told that Pickersgill received a suspended sentence of eight weeks prison on September 11, five days before this assault.

He was also in breach of a community order for assaulting the same victim three times and one other person.

Alec Small, defending, said Pickersgill had led a chaotic lifestyle but had been in a better place since being remanded in custody and “‘drying out’.

Mr Small added: “His downfall has been alcohol, which has blighted his whole adult life.”

The judge, Recorder Richard Mawhinney, told Pickersgill his compliance with probation as part of his community orders was as close to zero as he could get.

The judge revoked the community orders and activated the suspended sentence, jailing Pickersgill for a total of 48 weeks.