The RSPCA is warning people to be aware of the dangers chemicals pose to pets after the death of a cat in Peterchurch, Herefordshire.

The cat was found in a collapsed state with burns - consistent with ingesting chemicals - to the inside of her mouth in Peterchurch on Wednesday, November 21st.

RSPCA inspector Suzi Smith, who is investigating for the animal welfare charity, said: “We are encouraging animal-owners who live in the area to keep an eye on their cats’ wellbeing and asking them to seek veterinary treatment immediately if they have concerns.

“We do not know if this was accidental or deliberate but would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep any chemicals they may have stored at home and make sure they are secure and out of the way of cats.

“When she was found the inside of her mouth was burnt indicating she’d eaten something caustic but it’s unknown what. She was wearing a red flea collar but with no identification tag, and no microchip so I’ve unfortunately been unable to locate an owner, despite placing a found post on Pets Located.

“I rushed her to the nearest vet who tried their best to save her but sadly her injuries were too severe.

“We are also urging anyone who has any information about what happened to this cat to please contact the RSPCA’s appeal line in complete confidence on 0300 123 8018.”See this week’s paper for more stories like this, available in shops and as a Digital Edition now.