A MAN has been charged with murder following the death of a 39-year-old man in a residential town street on Sunday morning (October 2).
Kestutis Lekunas of Bluebell Close, Ross-on-Wye, was charged on Monday evening by West Mercia Police, after emergency services including an air ambulance had been called to the defendant’s home street the previous day, following reports of an “altercation”.
The 35-year-old appeared at Worcester Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Tuesday, October 4) charged with murdering Nerijus Liukpetris and was remanded in custody to appear at Worcester Crown Court via video link today (Wednesday).
A 39-year-old woman who was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in relation to the incident has been released and will face no further action, say police.
Officers rushed to Bluebell Close, pictured right, around 9.30am, alongside colleagues from West Midlands Ambulance Service.
A murder inquiry was launched following the death of the 39-year-old man in what police have called a “shocking incident” on the quiet residential street.
Revealing that the man, named in court yesterday as Nerijus Liukpetris, had died in the street, a force spokesperson said on Sunday: “A murder investigation has been launched following the death of a 39-year-old man in Ross-on-Wye.
“On arrival it was found that the man had sustained serious injuries and he was pronounced dead at the scene.”
Detective Inspector Stephen Cook also said later that day: “This is a shocking incident and our thoughts go out to the family of the man who lost his life.
“I understand that incidents of this nature can be alarming, but would like to reassure the local community that this is an isolated incident and there is no wider risk to the public.
“Our officers remain at the scene. You may see an increased police presence in the area over the coming days as our investigation continues.”
West Mercia Police said they would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or captured it on dashcam or CCTV.