NEWENT Town made it two wins in two weeks over high-flying FC Stratford in their final game of the season on Saturday, before parting ways with first team manager Stewart Watkins.

Having won 3-1 away on April 13, the Daffs again dominated proceedings to go 3-0 up at Wildsmith Meadow before the visitors hit a late consolation.

The Daffs go on the attack against FC Stratford. Photo: Helen Warwick Photography
The Daffs go on the attack against FC Stratford. Photo: Helen Warwick Photography (Helen Warwick Photography)

Newent started brightly pinging the ball around in the opposition half, before a free-kick 35 yards out was missed by the Stratford keeper but headed clear.

But 22 minutes in, Kyle Taylor picked the ball up in midfield, beat three players and blasted home from 20 yards into the corner for a goal of the season contender.

The Daffs were on top, but were let off just before half-time when the ball was fired across their goal only for two Stratford players to fail to get a touch at the far post.

A Newent player shields the ball. Photo: Helen Warwick Photography
A Newent player shields the ball. Photo: Helen Warwick Photography (Helen Warwick Photography)

Newent heeded the warning by doubling their advantage after the break, a neat free-kick move giving Toby Moran enough space to fire home for 2-0.

And they pressed home their advantage when Mateusz Klich fired in a third.

Newent looked most likely to score again, but with virtually the final kick, Daniel Atkins scored a consolation.

Hartpury University topped the Hellenic One table by nine points from Malmesbury, with Straford finishing seventh and Newent 15th.

It proved the last match with Stewart Watkins as boss, with the club announcing afterwards that they had agreed to part ways by mutual consent.

Club chairman Dennis Stringer said: "We would like to thank Stewart Watkins and Daizhari Tucker for their continued hard work, tireless effort and commitment throughout.

“Although a sometimes difficult season, they never faltered in their desire to win football games and we wish them both well in their next adventure and look forward to seeing them at Wildsmith Meadow in the future.

"Thank you also to Stewart’s support staff of Sam Clay for her help throughout the year, and the ever present GK/GK Coach Ben Clay."

Meanwhile Ross Juniors North Gloucestershire One promotion hopes are virtually over after two heavy defeats.

Mid-table hosts Staunton & Corse 2nds mauled them 6-2 in midweek, before promotion rivals Blakeney blitzed them 5-2 at the Sportsground on Saturday, Sam Thorne and Keiran Young with the consolations.

Lydbrook 2nds are top by four points, but a 2-2 draw at home to second-placed Whitecroft won't help them stay there, with the latter having four games in hand.

Ruardean Hill fought back from 2-0 down at home to Hanham in a mid-table Gloucestershire County clash, a second half goal from Steve Clark followed by a 25-yard Ollie Mason thunderbolt off the post securing a 2-2 draw.

Lydbrook were forced to play three home games in five days, beating Falcons 3-2 on Tuesday, drawing 1-1 with Staunton on Thursday and losing 1-0 to Barnwood on Saturday, leaving them seventh in Gloucestershire Northern 2

Hill’s already relegated 2nds lost 3-1 at Elwood in NG Premier, but their A string won 8-2 away to NG3 basement boys Rank 2nds, Connor Dix firing a hat-trick.

Ruardean United are safe in NG2 despite a 6-1 loss at table-toppers Yorkley, whose victory secured the title, while Lydbrook A lost 3-0 at Staunton A.