Weston Athletic were back to league duties this week in the north Gloucestershire division 2. After their exploits in the cups over the last few weeks they faced a trip to Blakeney. They were on a good run, having won six and drawn one in their last seven games, however they were not strong enough against Weston, who came away with a 4 - 2 victory.

After their semi final win last week Weston were forced into two changes with Wayne Husbands and Shaun Aston away, in came Alex Malsom and Chalky Robertshaw to partner Paul Burnham in a reshaped back three. In midfield Lee Walker, Steve Kittner, Dave Nicholls, Liam Parry and Jack Bray were unchanged and Eli Wooding and Wes Downing were once again paired together up front.

The home side started the strongest and from the first put Weston under pressure and enjoyed plenty of the ball. The new back three for Weston were struggling against a strong Blakeney side, after 15 minutes the home side took the lead, poor marking in the box allowed Blakeney's striker to finish from six yards out.

This seemed to kickstart Weston into action and they began to get involved in the game. Walker and Bray in particular were causing all sorts of problems with their direct running, it came as no surprise when Weston equalised after 30 minutes, Downing put the home sides defence under pressure and forced the mistake which allowed him to square to Wooding who finished well whilst under pressure.

Only five minutes later Weston took the lead, Wooding converting a penalty after Parry was taken down in the box, it could have been better for Weston as they had a goal disallowed just before half time after Bray had chipped the keeper delightfully but was harshly judged off side, by Weston still went into half time 2 - 1 up.

At the start of the second half it became apparent that Blakeney had changed their tactics and were trying to play a high defensive line. The home side played some good football but were never really a match for Weston.

However they found a way back into the match ten minutes into the half when they scored with an aid of a deflection off Malsom to level up the scores. This once again just galvanised Weston and they started to create chances at will. On 60 minutes Weston were once again in the lead, when Wooding beat the off side trap to cross to Downing who headed home to put Weston 3 - 2 up.

Weston then enjoyed the majority of the ball, with the back three now looking far more comfortable, and the midfield of Kittner, Nicholls and Walker dictating play in the middle of the pitch, Parry and Bray in the wing back positions were both having excellent games.

The game as a contest was over on 75 minutes when Downing scored his second of the game having coolly chipped the keeper to put Weston 4 - 2 up, the last 15 minutes was played out with Weston in control and could easily have scored more.

Overall this was an excellent result for Weston against the in-form team in their league. Weston now hope to out together a winning run to challenge for the league title. The T R Yates man of the match was Liam Parry. This week Weston are at home with kick off at 2.30pm.