WHILST all the pomp and ceremony surrounding the recent visit of the Chelsea Pensioners to Ross-on-Wye has surpassed, little did most people know that the memorial had been damaged prior to the event.

It was on Friday, December 7, 2024, Storm ‘Daragh’ struck the town and in the aftermath of the storm, it was discovered that a tree from an adjoining property to the churchyard had fallen on the Chelsea Pensioners’ Memorial.

The tree had knocked the cross from the memorial and broken the ‘patibulum’ (the arm) of the cross.

The advice of Nigel Cave from Monmouth Memorials was sought by local town representatives and he immediately offered to repair the memorial at no cost to St Mary’s Church or the Royal Hospital in Chelsea.

The memorial was repaired in time for the annual Remembrance Day service in November last year/

During the formal memorial service in the presence of the two visiting Chelsea Pensioners, Anne Lloyd and Rodney Trenham, the tale of the restoration of the cross was revealed to the congregation.

And as part of the visit of the Chelsea Pensioners to Ross earlier this month, and as a token of appreciation Royal Hospital In-Pensioner Anne Lloyd presented Mr Cave with a beautiful cushion created from the Scarlet Coat of a Chelsea Pensioner.

Ms Lloyd thanked Nigel for an ‘invisible’ repair and added: “That should endure for another 80 years. Your work is hugely appreciated by all.”

The mass exodus of the Chelsea Pensioners to Ross had been planned before the Second World War had begun.

It was during the May Crisis of 1938; plans had been approved by the War Office for evacuating the whole establishment to a group of country houses in Herefordshire.

Yet, during the Second World War, the decision to evacuate enmasse never materialised.

But on the eve of the war, about 50 Pensioners and a small staff were sent to Rudhall Manor, in Ross, where a contingent would continue to rotate to facilitate respite until 1946.

In 1942, Moraston House was secured providing a second house in that area for residents to enjoy a temporary change of scenery.

A large memorial in St Mary’s Churchyard commemorates Captain Henry Lockley, the Captain of Invalids and the 22 In-Pensioners that died during their stay at Rudhall Manor and Moraston House.

Over the decades representatives from the Royal Hospital have visited Ross on several occasions and the latest helped celebrate the 80th anniversary of the return of the in-patients from the town back to the back to Chelsea in 1946.

The Pensioners, enjoyed a packed weekend of commemorative and social events, hosted by members of the Ross-on-Wye and District Branch of the Royal British Legion.

The High Sheriff, Tamsin Clive laid a wreath at the memorial at St Mary’s churchyard as part of the commemoration service at the graveside. which was led by Rev’d Colin Leggate and curate, Rev’d Dr Owen Pembury and attended by Royal Navy, Royal Marine, Army and Royal Air Force Cadets together with Girl Guides.